I don't want to be positive

In society today, there's a constant reinforcement of "having to be positive" and to be quite honest, I'm sick of it. I'm sick of having to constantly pretend like life is perfect when I feel at my most stressed in fear that someone will think that I'm "attention seeking" or the dreaded, "you're not old enough to be stressed...you have nothing to be stressed about". STRESS DOES NOT CORRELATE WITH AGE.


What's the relevance of the photo? It's unedited and real, I'm tired of trying to make my photos bright enough or "good enough". I like this photo and I feel like it works here.

I speak about this a lot but it's as though it's taboo to talk about your emotions, like God forbid somebody doesn't pretend to be having a great Monday when in reality, they woke up late, had 5 minutes to get ready then nearly got hit by a bus as soon as they left the house.(this actually happened to me this morning)

WHY are we forced to pretend that we are ok? I believe that stress is a normal part of life but apparently, you're not allowed to be unless you're in your thirties and worrying about money because your kid wants the latest games console. As an eighteen year old in 2017, I'm tired of middle aged people telling me that I am not allowed to be stressed because "this is nothing compared to what they go through". I'm not saying you've had a straight forward life, but PLEASE, I am allowed to be stressed too. We are all allowed to be stressed because stress comes in different forms, we are not all going to feel the same amount or for the same reasons but I am not going to let you sit there and tell me that I can't be stressed just because I don't have a mortgage to pay or a bratty kid to provide for.

Recently, I started a job at McDonald's and my feelings about it so far are "I'm tired and my legs hurt" but that's OK. Let's be honest, no teenager wants to be spending their spare time working but that's just how life works nowadays, so don't tell me to stop complaining because "Oh, I work more than that" or "that's nothing compared to what I do". Basically, I don't have to pretend that I'm happy with every aspect of my life because I'm not, I'm not going to post on social media about how great life is when I spent the whole of my weekend working or revising for an exam that I now think that I failed.

Also, the forcing of body positivity makes me so angry. If you express unhappiness about your body, people will be like "oh no, LOVE yourself" which I agree, you should love yourself but equally, you don't have to pretend to be body positive when you're not happy with yourself. You can change if you want to, you don't have to #bodyposi on your latest Instagram post if that's not actually how you feel. By lying to the world, you're lying to yourself. While I used to be a big believer in "fake it till you make it", I see now that this can only fix a small number of your issues. Life is hard but you need to be real with yourself.

I'm not going fake positivity to benefit you. Quite simply, if you don't like seeing real emotions, you've got bigger problems to be worrying about than why an 18 year old is a stressed mess.

Lauryn


4 comments:

  1. LOVE this, this is actually so real. On social media we tend to show the best of us, as if our lives are happy and perfect (I do this a lot admittedly) and it gets tiresome, it's like we have to keep up this positive persona, when really most days we probably feel shitty more than anything. So, preach to this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the applause for this post. Looking for the silver lining is one thing but constantly hearing those types of comments from older gens and whatnot is annoying AF. Totally agree with you that it's not about age.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.