A trip to Berlin

On June 25th, Josh and I set off for Berlin. It was my first time on a plane so nervous didn't even cover it but other than the incessant ear popping, it was surprisingly straightforward. We got off the plane at around 10:30am and the queue to check passports was soooo long but eventually we got out of Schonefeld airport and made our way to the hotel. The hotel being only a 15 minute train ride from the airport was very useful and for someone who usually has incredibly bad luck with transport, this was going weirdly well. Oh of course, that jinxed it because in seconds after this thought I had somehow accidentally flung my phone across the road and it is now completely broken. Lovely. Then, as I'm stressing over my now unusable phone, the worst toothache ever begins but this was not going to destroy our first day. We dropped our bags off at the hotel and began our exploring around Berlin.

First, we went to a cafe and had soup because that's the only thing we could work out how to ask for and the guy behind the till evidently didn't like us very much but the soup was really quite good, or I was just incredibly hungry. Who knows? Ok now onto the actual exploring paired with the downpours of rain with no coat and minute umbrella. We started off with finding the Brandenburg gate and tried to take photos in the rain while eating our first doughnut from Dunkin Donuts of the trip. We then went to see the Reichstag building which was very big and made for some really great photos and then made our way to the Holocaust memorial after getting a little bit lost in a park and having to sit down 20 times because already, my feet were so painful. It goes without saying that all of these places were a really good place to start with our insight into Berlin and it was a great way to spend the first day. 


We got back to the hotel around early evening and for a relatively cheap price, it was quite nice. We stayed at NH Berlin Treptow in a standard room which was nicely sized overlooking a river but I didn't get any photos of the hotel because we actually fell asleep pretty much as soon as we got there. However, we woke up a couple hours later convinced it was the next day and so I was panicking(and stressed because I thought I had missed dinner lol) but turns out it was only 9pm! We found a pizza place near the hotel which had margherita pizzas for only €4.80 each so of course we had to have those and we took them back to the hotel room and relaxed ready for our next day of exploring. 


On the second day, we took the train to Potsdamer Platz where we went to the Mall Of Berlin which was really nice even though it was full of shops I couldn't afford but it had a slide from top to bottom of the mall which is an immediate winner in my books. We bought some souvenirs and I picked up some miscellaneous items such as a new backpack and perfume and I also had my hair curled by a salon doing a promotional offer which was pleasant because I can never seem to curl my hair properly. We then went to have lunch at a burger place which according to Josh was "one of the best burgers he had ever tasted" and I had a chicken burger and fries with lemonade which was really good and relatively well priced too! We left the mall and travelled to Wannsee ready to go on a boat tour which was one of the parts I was most looking forward to on the holiday and it did not disappoint. For two hours, we relaxed on a boat observing really beautiful scenery without having the pain of walking and it was really wonderful. 

After the boat tour, we took another train to Checkpoint Charlie where we looked around and I bought the best hip flask in another souvenir shop, as well as some other little items! Once we had looked around, we decided to go and get a wrap for dinner in a little cafe but it was one of the worst things I have ever tasted. Therefore, we went to the tube station ready to go back to the hotel when Josh realised he had left his backpack in the cafe with our passports and money in! I've never seen him run so fast to go back and get it. Eventually, we got back to the hotel and decided to check out the fitness suite...never again. The fitness "suite", which was just a treadmill and exercise bike may I add, was in the basement and we constantly heard loud thudding from upstairs and it was incredibly eery with the twisting corridors of saunas and showers. Not the most relaxing way to spend a holiday evening, I must say. 


The third day approached and we were going to the zoo! I do enjoy the zoo. It was strange because there was very little fencing around the animals and so you were literally a couple of metres away from a gorilla. It was a really hot day but it was definitely worth the money as we saw a variety of animals from penguins to giraffes and then the petting zoo where I actually got over my fear of goats!
Of course we couldn't go to the zoo without visiting the ridiculously expensive gift shop where I picked up a key ring as well as a little plush toy which brings a tear to my eye when I realise I spent nearly €10 on it. 

After the Zoo, we headed to the Olympic Stadium. By this point, I was very sun burnt and my legs were basically dead but it was worth the trip. It was so big! For someone who it isn't a massive sports fan, it was somewhat interesting to see. I'm not going to pretend we didn't go back to the hotel and get another pizza from that great pizza place because that would be a lie. 


So, we get to Wednesday which was our last full day in Berlin so what better way to start the morning off than going shopping at Alexanderplatz? We picked up a few bits and decided it was time to go up the TV Tower which was much taller than I expected it to be, luckily I'm not scared of heights else I may have had a problem going 207 metres up in the air but the view from the observation deck was really wonderful even if Josh continuously reported on his knees feeling weird every time he looked over the edge. It was definitely one of the best parts of the holiday. 

Then, we stopped for lunch at Coffee Fellows which sold bagels and not much else. It was actually very good. 

Ok on to one of my favourite parts of the holiday; the Marx Engels forum statue. Josh didn't really understand my fascination with it but it was fun anyway...


We then went to Museum Island although by this point I was feeling incredibly ill so we couldn't see everything that we wanted to but it was still really interesting. The art gallery was probably my favourite part because there were so many wonderful pieces. 

For our last meal in Berlin, we went to a completely German speaking restaurant where we had to spend €3 on a jug of tap water! I don't think they really understood what we were saying but the food was really good, even though there was a great deal of it! 


Sadly, we then had to go back to the hotel and pack up all of our stuff as our flight was early the next morning.

Leaving from Schonefeld airport was somewhat of a stressful experience to say the least. Especially because to get to our gate, we had to stand in a massive line to have our passports checked and it was far too hot and I was far too tired so it did not go down well for me and I left Josh in the queue while I went to sit and complain to myself in a corner, lol. When we had finally got on the plane, it was a relatively easy journey back but it was sad to end the holiday. 

Overall, it was a great holiday experience and thanks to Josh for putting up with my constant hunger and bad feet


Lauryn

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant commentary. I am glad you both had a good holiday.now to boom the next one....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Can't wait to start planning our next one. x

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.